BaliAshramYoga ( www.BaliAshramYoga.com or BaliAshramYoga@gmail.com ) runs the yoga retreat/workshop activities (therefore deals with all inquiries/correspondence) at, and in partnership with, Gedong Gandhi Ashram, which it supports and helps promote.
Gedong Gandhi Ashram, aka Ashram Gandhi Çanti Dasa (servant of peace) or Ashram Gandhi (www.ashramgandhi.com or AshramGandhi@gmail.com) or simply Ashram, at Candidasa, Bali (http://tinyurl.com/npxbx7x) which runs the first and oldest Ashram in Bali since 1974.
Our ‘sankalpa’: A yoga filled retreat with visiting and Ashram’s in-house yoga teachers that gently blends with, and allow the attendees the opportunity to experience and immerse in, our unique Ashram lifestyle and ambience. Mostly seafront or sea-view bungalows, some backing onto the village’s spring fed pond . Full-meal accommodation with vegetarian and fish dishes. Good value yet with community service orientation (simply being a guest helps finance Ashram’s operations). Access to ashram’s facilities and services. Or to simply interact with ashram members or join the puja/prayers, adjourn to our library or meditation room, or swim in the open sea. Idyllic setting in auspicious environs yet right at the lively centre of Candidasa village for a ‘time out’ if needed!
A quote from past attendee: “..As a yoga beginner before hand I was a little bit scared the level would be too high for me. However, immediately during the first class I found out that the level did not matter. Since the teacher is such a good teacher and the class was small, everyone could do the class at their own “capacity’ “.
Nyepi: Yoga and the Ashram provide the perfect backdrop to Bali’s New Year’s Day of Silence which revolves around individual reflection, to refrain from earthly desires/work or man-made disturbances, and to engage in spiritual readings/pursuits. Hence, total ban on lights, fire, cars and, indeed, airline flights – a unique experience to live the spirit of Nyepi (sepi/quiet). Nyepi auspicious day, which the March Dynamic Hatha Yoga Retreat is part of, falls in different days in March and for the next three years 2016/17/18 it’s 6/28/17 March respectively. When we are able to we try to organise a retreat revolving around this auspicious day so participants can experience this unique
#1 Dynamic Hatha Yoga Retreat (8 Day/7 Night; incl. its Ayurvedic variety):
Day 1 check-in, Ashram progs; Day 2- 7 Retreat Progs; Day 8 Morn sess(2) till lunch, 2 pm check-out. Costs AUD 900 / 1100 for twin-share or non-share/single ; and we have the next door’s similar standard accommodation option with shared rear gate if Ashram accommodation is booked out.
Primarily the broader Hatha Yoga with a blend of daily sun salutation, asana, vinyasa, pranayama, nidra as well as delving into its philosophical and spiritual context of yoga. The classes cater the full range of yoga proficiencies, as our experienced teachers tune in to the individuals and the week’s narrative. There are links a the end of this document to our teachers, testimonials, blog and previous retreats.
Hatha Yoga Format* (Bold/Italics – ♣ Retreat’s Yoga Activities; **Strongly recommended; these are broad outlines as individual teachers may change some of the times or order to suit their narrative, or operational/group requirements during the retreat week)
|5 – 6 am||Optional/Sunrise Puja (incl. Agni Hotra/fire ceremony)|
|♣ 7.00 – 7.45 am||♣ Yoga – Sun Salutation/Surya Namaskara|
|♣ 7.45 – 8.30 am||♣ Pranayama and Meditation (meditation room)|
|8.30 – 9.00 am||Breakfast with Ashram members|
|9 – 10 am||Free period|
|♣ 10 – 11.45 am||♣ Yoga – Asana/Vinyasa/Nidra Class|
|11.30 – 12 noon||Midday Puja (optional)|
|12.30 – 1.30 pm||Lunch with Ashram members|
|1.30 – 4.00 pm||Free period / Group or Private Tours / Activities|
|♣ 4.00–5.30 pm||♣ House Yoga (Selection of Hatha/Vinyasa/recuperative yoga)|
|**5.15 – 6 pm||** Sunset Puja (incl. 5.30pm Agni Hotra/Fire Ceremony – Optional but recommended as a natural extension to previous House Yoga)|
|6 – 6.30 pm||Free period|
|6.30 – 7.30 pm||Dinner with Ashram members|
|7.30 – 8 pm||Night Puja (optional)|
Normally the retreat will include some excursions, such as a morning yoga session at a water palace, an evening temple prayer followed by temple style meal with the Ashram members, a session of boat snorkelling with local fishermen (naturally we often swap things around due to weather forecast but so far we haven’t had to drop any of the core excursions due to weather). Or other tour/activities depending on the mix wished by the group. Also there will be a number of individual activities in around the Ashram that will compete for a portion of the ‘free time’ such as acupuncture session at the Ashram’s ‘Nature Cure’ clinic, there’s an excellent and popular masseuse barely a stone’s throw from the Ashram (or have one come to your bungalow), which will impact on the ‘mix’ of yoga/excursion/free time each individual group wishes to do.
A teacher may also provide additional information about a particular forthcoming retreat to suit his or her plan or narrative.
#2 Ayurveda, Yoga and Meditation Retreat:
Day1 check-in, Ashram progs; Day 2- 7 Retreat Progs; Day8 Morn prog/lunch, 2 pm check-out. Costs per person AUD 900 / 1100 (twin-share / non-share); if Ashram is full we will advise you for a similar room in our next door homestay with shared rear gate to the Ashram, ocean front if available.
Ayurveda, Yoga and Meditation for Self-Healing/Wellbeing/Vitality: This is a variant of the Hatha Retreat we will be offering in September 2016… a 7 day retreat combining the benefits of Yoga and Ayurveda in daily practice. Discover the bliss of being in balance as we establish a daily routine of healthy habits according to your personal constitution and the rhythms of nature. See #4
This retreat endeavours to bring Ayurveda to everyday life – as a tool to connect us with the wisdom of our bodies, our intuition, our truth, our nature our pathway to greater awareness and understanding. Blending with its natural complementary affiliate, yoga and meditation routines, the retreat will offer individual/private consultations for each participant to determine their ayurvedic constitution/prakriti and vikriti/presenting concern/current state of balance, and health goals. Individualised prescription of daily, seasonal and cosmic rituals, along with personally tailored purification and rejuvenation practices to optimise wellness and vitality will be included.
There will be daily group discussion on topics of interest such as: What is Ayurveda and how can it help me? Ayurveda’s meaning, origins, history, branches, evolution to modernity, relevance to spiritual practice and purpose in present times will be explained. We will consider Ayurvedic perspectives on health and disease, becoming familiar with the foundational concepts of bhuta, dosha, and guna that comprise the intelligence of nature from which we have arisen.
We will investigate the power of sankalpa and purusartha to transform the various realms of our existence, and how we may best align the body, mind and spirit in cooperation with these pursuits. The subtle energies of prana, tejas and ojas will be examined as we discuss their value and manifestation in the body and beyond. We’ll also explore the subtle energies of sattva, rajas, and tamas and their implications on our consciousness.
The importance of diet and digestion will be revealed, along with how to manage agni and ama, treat common ailments with kitchen herbs and revitalise the entire organism with elemental medicine, cleansing processes and simple lifestyle modifications. This retreat will offer an Ayurvedic approach to asana, pranayama and meditation practice, encouraging balance through awareness, movement, stillness, breath, mantra, mudra, and the senses of sight, smell, touch, taste and sound.
The retreat will be led by the much respected Claire James, a practitioner of 20 year standing with a thriving Ayurvedic Wellness studio in Melbourne, with the Ashram’s own yoga teachers and nature cure practitioner thrown in for the relevant sessions. There will be a session on Ayurvedic cooking class, a yoga session at the Water Palace, a temple praying/pilgrim tour or optional excursions. We can recommend some Ayurvedic treatment, massage or other services at Candidasa village for those wishing to have more, or simply for a ‘time out’ which is the beauty of being right in the middle of the village centre. Or try the Ashram’s own popular acupuncture sessions at the clinic, or join the four daily puja/prayer sessions or some karma yoga chores, or simply relish its ambience!
- To best experience the Ashram environs read its restrictions in www.ashramgandhi.com of which the important ones are no smoking, no alcohol consumption or sharing of bungalow for unmarried couples (consider Kelapa Mas accommodation next door, or speak to us) . Dress modestly around the Ashram, bathing suit only for around the beach, no nude bathing, or ask at the Ashram.
- Full medical and travel insurance is a compulsory to join the retreat/workshop
- All meals, wifi, refill of drink water bottle (from our large ‘Aqua’ containers, ie less plastic waste), ashram’s facilities (Gandhi library, puja/ prayers); for Retreat only: one temple prayer tour with members and one off-site yoga tour.
- Yoga mats, cushions and straps are provided. However, perhaps bring your own and donate to the Ashram at end of your stay to make space for presents to take back from Bali?
- Airport transfer to and from Ashram is IDR 400,000 (abt 1.5 hrs travel) each way, to be paid direct to our contract driver to allow for flexibility/adjustment, such as when car sharing etc.
- Visa On Arrival (VOA) is now free for most OECD/EU countries but please check with consulate’s sites, and you require a passport which is valid for at least 6 months.
- AIRPORT MEETING WITH OUR DRIVER
Walk till end of passenger exit corridor, past the glass partitioned area on your right (where a sea of family/friends/drivers try to make ‘sight contact’ with arriving passengers – ignore, as quite hard to pick a driver from many sign carrying drivers) through a duty free shop to a ‘double back’ walkway till the passenger area exit. Your driver should be there with a sign with your name and flight no (this is your ID of him so do not volunteer it). If not there, go to nearby Info Desk and ask them to page for the Gedong Gandhi Ashram driver (and verify that they have your name and flight number). For emergency our Bali phone number is 081237444388 when retreat is on (and that number is not on roaming).
- OPTIONAL COSTS: Additional tours/snorkeling etc can be organised as a group or individual (on top scheduled for the retreat), acupuncture IDR 50,000/session or massages at the salon across the road or call to your bungalow (details in our Ashram blog under Ashram Facilities / Supplementary Services )
- OUR CONTACTS: Voice calls answered only to non-roaming phonee. in Bali +62 (0)8123 7444 388 or in Australia +61 (0)409 505 344. SMS and BaliAshramYoga@gmail.com mailbox are always active. Ashram Address: Jalan Raya Candidasa, Candidasa, Bali ph +62 363 41108 or search Gedong Gandhi Ashram in Google Maps https://maps.google.com/
- Write to BaliAshramYoga@gmail.com , advise us on twin-share/non-share and yoga event of your choice and any queries. With the reply we’ll post the email version of this Flyer-Brochure which includes our Bank details (not published on the web version for security reasons) and estimate of costs incurred (or work out the maths from ‘Pricing” above).
- Methods of Payment (In AUD to our AUD account. Full payment at least 4 weeks prior to retreat or deposit of AUD 300 per person to secure your booking (Please read the Terms and Conditions as listed at the end of this brochure). Also beware of the bank’s international transfer fixed charges with each stage of payment).
- Bank Transfer (in AUD and Net amount received ie excl. bank and conversion charges)
- For Payment within Australia: normally nil Bank charges, but please write to us for our Acct No. / BSB / Acct Name which can’t be put online for security reasons
- For International Transfer: Due to the same security concerns please write to us for our Acct No (which is concatenation of local BSB and Acct No) become and our Swift Code / BIC and our Bank
- PayPal (in AUD): Upon request we will send PayPal invoice (for internet payment with your bank account or credit card) to your email address (pls also supply the country of residence/banking if not obvious from email). We will add 2.25% PayPal surcharge from within Australia or 4% for international payment from outside Australia to the payable amount to help defray charges by Paypal.
- International Bank Transfer vs PayPal: PayPal cost of transfer/conversion is fixed 2.25 % (within Australia) or 4% (international), it’s convenient and quick. For within Australia the fee free bank transfer is definitely the cheaper method than PayPal. The International Bank Transfer costs vary. For international payment the comparison is not so apparent as some of the banking charges is ‘buried’ in the retail exchange rates charged by the banks (whereas PayPal uses the more standard wholesale exchange rates – such as in xe.com – and its charges are better reflected in its service fee). Research the economics and the convenience factor yourself with both your own banks and PayPal, and choose what is best for you.
TESTIMONIALS https://ashramgandhi.wordpress.com/testimonials/bali-ashram-yoga-retreats/ PRIMARY www.BaliAshramYoga.com www.ashramgandhi.com https://ashramgandhi.wordpress.com/ TEACHERS http://jenniferisaacson.com/ http://www.elwoodbeachyoga.com.au/ http://ahimsakasatya.wordpress.com/
Collection of photos of the ashram/accommodation/previous retreats http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashramgandhi/collections/72157627326482760/ Previous retreat’s reports https://ashramgandhi.wordpress.com/category/yoga/
Terms and Conditions for our BaliAshramYoga Retreats
(1) The first AUD 300/person payment constitutes non-refundable deposit. Remainder of payment refundable up to 30 days prior to commencement of retreat/workshop, else forfeited, or at the sole discretion of BaliAshramYoga. Check if any is claimable from the Travel and Medical Insurance (a precondition to join our Retreat or Workshop), depending on your policy (2) PayPal Surcharge (4% for international and 2.25% for within Australia) is the estimated transaction fees charged by PayPal. (3) Dates refer to check-in and check-out dates of retreat/workshop, make sure to book additional nights before hand to ensure availability (4) To pay by Visa Credit or Visa debit card simply follow the instruction on the PayPal Email (5) Booking is only confirmed after payment is made. Payment is taken as agreement to the terms and conditions outlined here.