Anyone can apply for the very limited space we have to become a volunteer at the Ashram by simply writing to our mailbox email@example.com .
Traditionally we look for any able person who can do general work around the Ashram but preference would be given for those with desirable skill-sets such as qualified English teachers (esp those with English as a Second Language teacher training) or those with trades skills such as carpentry, electrician etc or any specific skills to do the tasks around the Ashram and for some skill transfers to our members as part of their life skills. Presently with our needs to support our important yoga program going, and our current limitation to only to take one volunteer at any one time, yoga teachers have become almost our exclusive focus, with the exception of very special circumstances to recruit a non yoga teacher volunteer.
We offer full accommodation and meals with your own spacious volunteer’s room above our kindergarten (the classes from 7.30 to 10 am only, hence, very quiet outside that period) with a bird’s eye view of the Ashram, the pond and the ocean , but to share a ground floor locked bathroom/toilet facilities with other volunteers (if we have more than one, but in most cases for your own use). You will have your meals with other full paying guests.
We still require a token IDR 100,000 per night as volunteering is a non existent/grey area in the immigration’s restrictive work permit rules and technically our volunteer is still a guest that we have to pay tax on, which we do. If this is an issue, please mention this when you write to us ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) for consideration.
Please note that we also encourage full paying guests with the above qualifications and desire to contribute some their spare time during their stay with us as a community service while also experiencing our Ashram life with our members.
Hence the need to distinguish the two types of volunteers.
This part deals with the more specific volunteer yoga teacher while some of the principles are also applicable to the general volunteer. We need qualified yoga teachers who would like to further their teaching or spiritual seva selfless service during their yoga journey to assist with the continuity of our yoga classes at the Ashram.
- Volunteer/Yoga Teacher: Normally suitable for longer term volunteer of one month or longer and with it comes our accommodation offer as per above. We hope the volunteer to cover the gaps in the morning and afternoon sessions and to help maintain our seafront yoga shala with all its equipment. The general volunteer is also expected to participate in member’s’activities such as attending the daily pujas.
- Guest Volunteer/Yoga Teacher: Normally for full paying guests with shorter stay at the Ashram in mind, but who would like to contribute some of their skills, labour and time to the Ashram during their stay with us. You pay the normal Ashram’s nightly rates of IDR 350,000 with all meals and you can pick and choose as many or little of the vacant class/sessions or sub some teachers as the need arises.
The yoga class/sessions we endeavour to cover at our ashram are –
- Daily (except Sunday which is rest day) key afternoon 4 – 5.15 pm classes (with focus primarily for Ashram’s guests, casual/drop-in outside guests and Ashram Members) of which the core days are Mon, Wed and Fridays as our minimum yoga target for our paying Ashram guests. Currently (Jan 2019) we have regular part time teachers covering these core afternoon classes.
- Daily morning 7 – 8 am classes (focus on Ashram members and Ashram’s guests, outside ‘drop-in’ guests allowed to join only with prior arrangement). The morning classes are of lesser priority to the afternoon classes but of these the Sunday morning class is the more important as it’s the time when most of the school going members can attend the class.
- We wish to maintain a conducive working environment for our volunteer yoga teachers as we want you to be reasonably happy and stay for your whole intended seva at the Ashram. Therefore we are reasonably flexible to reduce the load/classes if it’s felt to be too much, though some will occur naturally when no participants are likely to attend the morning classes, and some of the lower priority classes can be dropped.
The above is simply the broad outline. If you have specific needs or ideas how to make this suits you better please contact us at email@example.com so we can discuss them further. Thanking you for your interest in volunteering at the Ashram.